5 Ways to Make Your Home Energy Efficient All Year
Reducing the amount of energy we use, should be on everyone’s agenda. It directly impacts climate change, clean air, and of course, your wallet! If you follow me on Instagram you know that in October during Storm Zeta, a tree fell on my home. So naturally, I’ve become more interested in home building & renovations, increasing home value, and of course saving money through efficiency!
I wanted to share things that we can all do, but aren’t so obvious. Of course, turning off the lights and using less water make sense right? But there’s so much more to cutting energy costs. I’ve added some links so you guys can do more research on your own. Trust me, theres tons of information, tips, tricks and even some DIY Projects you can do!
The US Department of Energy Lists the Top 4 Inventions That Will Save You Money
- Use Energy Efficient Light Fixtures– LED lightbulbs are proven to use 90% less energy and last 25 times longer. Spend less time changing bulbs? Definitely sounds like savings!
2. Change Your Air Filters-Clogged and dirty filters, cause your HVAC system to work so much harder to push air through. Filters should be changed every 2-3 months. Improved usage of your system, and higher quality filters provides benefits to your wallet & the environment.
3. Keep Your Supply Registers Open– The word to remember here is pressure. The amount of air your fan (from the motor) can sustain is built to fit/ service the size of your home. When we close our vents, it increases the pressure but lowers the flow of air or heat potentially causing leaks, in the ducting. So instead of closing the vents, maybe try closing the doors to the room instead.
4. Have your heating & cooling system serviced annually– doing this results in fewer repairs, better circulation quality, longer lifespan and most importantly, peace of mind.
5. Landscape with heating and cooling in mind-Landscaping that is well designed can reduce your heating, cooling and lighting costs. I know, I was shook too! An impactful landscape looks different from region to region so be sure to do your due diligence.
I want to know if you’re being intentional about cutting energy costs this year? Tell me what you’re doing in the comments below, or join me on Instagram!
Hope this was helpful!